Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Rumors by Anna Godbersen

I've finished reading Breaking Dawn. Actually I did several days ago, but I've been trying to hold off on posting a review until OUR copies come in. And they haven't yet. It's been out for a week and a half, and we still do not have our copies for the library. *hrumph* I am not a happy camper. Thanks to the hype of the book and our successful release party, there's about 40 people waiting for those books. So I'll refrain from spoiling any secrets until our copies show up. To be continued...

On the other hand, I never did post a review for Rumors by Anna Godbersen. It's the 2nd book in the Luxe series (first book being The Luxe--clever, huh?). If you haven't read the first one, you should. I picked it up because I loved the cover. I'm such a sucker for a pretty cover. It's a historical romance with gossip and intrigue and secrets. Think Gossip Girl but with more depth (these are thick books!) and they're also set in the 1800's. Give or take a 100 years.

Rumors again has the draw of an alluring cover, and it picks right up where The Luxe left off. It's suspenseful--flashing between the rich society of Manhattan and the rural beginnings of the California oil rush. It was heart wrenching though. I got nearly to the end and the author did something that angered me so much that I wanted to throw the book away. But I didn't. It's just that I usually get very attached to the characters, and when things go awry I tend to forget that it's just fiction. Signs of a good book. It's a light and yet very juicy read. Even for someone who doesn't like historical fiction (yes, that'd be me), I'd still give it a try.

1 comment:

susan259 said...

Visit the Luxw site: http://www.harperteen-theluxe.com/luxe.html

Click on Become a Luxe Girl and you can turn yourself into a freakish version of the cover--I say freaksih because you can make it talk but the animation is funny!